NEW ILLUSTRATIONS FOR THE NME

by jimmy turrell on Monday 1 September 2014






















Heres a few illustrations I've recently worked on for the NME's Album Of The Week column. Each album is given to me to me ahead of time - this allows me to gauge the tones and textures of the music before I tackle the illustration.

I purposely try to stay away from the featured artist's existing album artwork in order to put my own stamp on each portrait. An album or song title can also help spark an idea or concept for each piece. For instance I jokily referenced one of David Ickes main conspiracy theories for the self titled album from Royal Blood - i.e. that the British Royal family are reptilian humanoids controlling humanity. Or by using the simple dove image for Morrissey's "World Peace is None Of Your Business"

Also included here are illustrations of La Roux, Metronomy, Jungle, Ratking, Merchandise, Wild Beasts and Warpaint.

Click on the images to enlarge.

To see the full list including Paul McCartney and Damon Albarn - check out my website here: www.jimmyturrell.com